History of the PTW
Prof. Dr.-Ing. Joachim Metternich, since 2012
Professor Metternich took over the newly created Chair of Production Management and Intralogistics in September 2012, besides being the Institute’s Deputy Manager.
After successfully studying industrial engineering at the TH (Technical University) Darmstadt and getting his Ph.D. at the PTW, he was active during 11-years in several industries at national and international production sites, and most recently he was responsible for the global production system of a mechanical engineering company.
His research work at the Institute focuses on Application-Oriented Methods of Lean Production, researched at the CiP process learning factory and taught to a wide range of participants from academic and industrial circles. Approaches to solving the issues of seamless integration of production, logistics and transport are also developed.
Professor Dr.-Ing. Eberhard Abele, since 2000
Professor Abele is bringing a wealth of experiences to the development of research and teaching at the TUD from his 15 years of international work as Head of Production Planning, Technology Development and Plant Manager.
The PTW has grown steadily in the research fields of cutting technology/machine tools and production management under his leadership. Several new fields of research have been grounded on the experience of the Institute such as dental technologies, powertrain production, defensive measures against product piracy and also global production and energy-efficient production. The micro-tech production center opened in 2007 boasts extensive machinery and measuring technology for micro-cutting as well as generative production processes (SLM).
The Process Learning Factory initiated by Professor Abele is much appreciated by students in the course of their practical training. Every year, hundreds of company employees in leading positions are trained in lean management and process-oriented production planning
The Learning Factory jointly operated with the “McKinsey & Company” consulting firm is regarded throughout Europe as a pilot model, and the experiences acquired have been incorporated by now by many other learning factories in Europe and the U.S.
The energy efficiency plant “eta”, currently in its planning stage with a total budget of more than € 15 million is intended to be a further pilot model for research and teaching and expected to show the future potential for energy saving by means of the “intelligent” combination of building technology and the machine level.
Pioneering innovations are presented at the “AMB” trade fair in Stuttgart, in cooperation with the numerous industrial partners of the PTW at the special exhibition “Innovations for Tomorrow's Production”
Professor Abele’s scientific innovations have been set down in 200 publications, 4 reference books and numerous patents.
1980-2000 Professor Dr.-Ing. Herbert Schulz
After Prof. Ströferle’s death in August 1978, Prof. Dr. Dipl.- Ing. Herbert Schulz was appointed chairman of the institute in December 1980. His emphasis on research were mainly innovative manufacturing processes, such as high-speed-cutting, production management and machine tool concepts for the realization of new technologies. The key objective is still to this point, promoting a close collaboration with the industry in order to guarantee an applied research. Since 1981 Schulz is editor of the journal “Werkstatt & Betrieb”.
In 1976 metal forming was outsourced
1968-1978 Professor Dr.-Ing. Theodor Stöferle
After Prof. Stromberger’s retirement in 1968, Prof. Dr. Dipl.- Ing. Theodor Stöferle succeeded and became chairman of the institute and the laboratory; continuing the work in teaching and research of his predecessor. He also took over the journal “Werkstatt & Betrieb”. With the supervision of numerous research projects grew the demand on personnel. The choice of production oriented lectures was complemented by further lectureships. With the relocation of the mechanical engineering department to the Petersenstr.30 in 1972, the institute enjoyed a drastic extension of its facilities. Prof. Ströferle argued for a practical research approach, emphasizing on the growing automation of machine tools. The foci were the development of sensors for the detection of the machine status:
- Application of microprocessors to monitor machinery
- Economic efficiency in the construction sector
- Research activities in the field of chip removal
1944-1968 Professor Dr.-Ing. Carl Stromberger
In 1944 Prof. Dr. Dipl.- Ing. Carl Stromberger succeeded Prof. Roessler as the chairman of the institute. In 1954 he also became the chairman of the newly constructed laboratory. In the academic field of teaching, the courses were: mechanical technology, machine tools, construction and operation, as well as process oriented measuring and testing. The research projects were fundamentally:
- Technological procedures
- Chipless- and chip producing cutting
- Performance of linear guidance in machine tools on the later echoed numerical control of machine tools
1904-1944 Professor Dipl.-Ing. Ludwig von Roeßler
The laboratory-facility was established in 1921; in the same year welding technology was added to the facility and hence to the research. In this field most of the remarkable research had been concentrated, due to the strong network with the industry. In 1944, during World War II, the facility had been completely destroyed.
1893 decision for an introduction of a laboratory for machine tool
1894-1903 Professor Heinrich Krauß
The institute was founded in 1894 as the fourth chair of the department of mechanical engineering, covering the field of mechanical technology. The first appointed chairman was Prof. Heinrich Krauß – soon to be succeeded by Prof. Dr. Dipl.- Ing. Ludwig von Roessler in 1904. Without a proper laboratory, von Roessler managed to do some fundamental research on the chip formation during metal cutting.